RE: tlug: video card (was Mounting my cdrom's)

On Tue, 27 Oct 1998, Jim Schweizer wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 27-Oct-98 Darren Cook wrote:
> > Is there an auto-detect-my-graphics-card program I can run?
>
> I think SuperProbe can do this. On my system it's
>
> schweiz:~$ which SuperProbe
> /usr/X11R6/bin/SuperProbe
>
> make sure you read the man page before using it. Dim memory of a warning or two
> in there...

it says that it might lock up the machine.  Happens sometimes, if you're
not using a PCI or AGP video board.  AFAIK, XFree86 3.3.2's superprobe
can't find AGP boards.  My SuperProbe2 program that I wrote to accompany
turboxcfg can, however (did that myself.  I also added in support for
probing a lot of chipsets that the regular SuperProbe can't).  Grab the
turboxcfg package from the TL 2.1.2 beta updates dir on ftp.pht.co.jp and
rpm2cpio it to get SuperProbe2.  Use it the same way you would use
SuperProbe.

> You might also need the info from
>
> X -showconfig
>
> or if you don't know which chipset you have
>
> X -probeonly > ~/x.out 2>&1
>
> Make sure to write everything down in a notebook so you can refer back to it
> years later (like I just did :)
>
> HTH
>
> Jim S.

> Next Nomikai: 20 November, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
> Next Technical Meeting: January, 1999 (details TBA)
> Sponsor: PHT, makers of TurboLinux http://www.pht.co.jp

               <sstone@example.com>
Head of TurboLinux Development/Systems Administrator
Pacific HiTech, Inc (USA) / Pacific HiTech, KK (Japan)

Next Technical Meeting: January, 1999 (details TBA)