Re: tlug: Mounting my cdrom's

Scott Stone writes:
 > On Mon, 26 Oct 1998, Matt Gushee wrote:

 > > Whoa, there! Did you, by any chance, try to mount the cdrom as a
 > > regular user? Believe it or not, '... not supported by kernel' error
 > > messages sometimes really mean, 'you don't have permission to do
 > > that.' Damned if I know why. So see what happens when you try it as
 > > root.
 >
 > On my system (TurboLinux 2.0/3.0/somewhere in between, kernel 2.0.35), if
 > I try mounting as non-root, I get something informative:
 >
 > mount: only root can mount /dev/scd0 on /mnt/cdrom
 >
 > I would expect Redhat is similar.

Possibly. I'm not sure about mount, but unless my eyes have gotten
*really* bad, I see the 'not supported by kernel' thing every time I
try to start pppd as a regular user. Gave me a heart attack the first
few times. And I'm fairly sure I've seen it with mount also. I'm not
positive I guessed right, but I'm also not making this up.

It occurs to me the reason for the misleading error message might be
because when a regular user tries to do X, but X requires a
module, the module doesn't get loaded and, for whatever reason (on
RedHat -- score 1 [more] for TurboLinux) the 'not supported' message
gets through to the user and the 'no permission' message doesn't.

In any case it would be pretty strange for a standard RedHat
installation not to have iso9660 support. Not impossible, I'm sure,
but strange.

Matt

Next Technical Meeting: January, 1999 (details TBA)