tlug: Mounting my cdrom's

Darren Cook writes:

 > 2.When I try "mount /mnt/cdrom" I get this error:
 >   mount: fs type iso9660 not supported by kernel

 > try 'modprobe isofs'.  Seems like kerneld might not be running as well,
 > check for that.

Whoa, there! Did you, by any chance, try to mount the cdrom as a
regular user? Believe it or not, '... not supported by kernel' error
messages sometimes really mean, 'you don't have permission to do
that.' Damned if I know why. So see what happens when you try it as
root.

 > Uh oohhhh, time to recompile the kernel with support for iso9660 (can this be
 > done as a loadable module?)

Yeah, almost all filesystems can be.

 Don't worry, recompiling kernels isn't that bad
 > unless you've got a wierd hardware set-up.

That too.

Matt Gushee
Oshamanbe, Hokkaido
Next Technical Meeting: January, 1999 (details TBA)