tlug: partition

Eltigani A. Musa writes:
 > Hi every body

Hi, and welcome to Linux.

 > I'm a new user running S.u.S.E Linux 5.3, I want to create fdisk ( fips/5C
 > or fips15C ), actually I'm not sure about the exact parameter or name for
 > the fdisk used for partitioning the Hard Drives without affecting the
 > existing data ?

To my knowledge, *if* you follow the instructions exactly and there
are no errors, fips will always preserve your existing data without any
special parameters. That's the whole point of the fips program. On the
other hand, it is inherently a risky operation, so it's not a good
idea to try it without backing up your data.

If your hard disk is all a single Windows partition, the basic
procedure is to:

1) defragment the Windows partition, using the Windows (not DOS)
defrag program
2) reboot into DOS and run FIPS to split the partition. Normally after
this, there will be one Windows partition and one empty partition.
3) begin the Linux installation, and use fdisk to delete the empty
partition and create new ones for Linux.
4) reboot and continue the installation

But wait a minute. You said you're *running* Linux already? I guess
I'm not sure what you're trying to do. If you can be more specific, I
might be able to give you some suggestions. I have a little experience
with setting up Linux with Win95 (not Win98 or NT, though).

Regards,

Matt Gushee
Oshamanbe, Hokkaido