RE: tlug: HTML again

>>>>> "jdh" == John De Hoog <dehoog@example.com> writes:

    jdh> The point is, Windows gives users this whole spectrum to
    jdh> choose from, whereas Linux does not come anywhere near it
    jdh> yet, as far as I have seen. You

Stipulated.

    jdh> say you prefer text editors; I happen to like the programs
    jdh> that let me concentrate on content, and work with content

That's what a text editor is for---keeping the author from being
distracted by irrelevancies like layout and images.  :^D

(Despite the smiley, I really mean that, too---for me.  Only.
Messr. Byrne probably sympathizes, but it's a minority opinion and I
don't have a problem with being in a minority.)

    jdh> directly, or at least programs that have the tags available
    jdh> in menus. The lack of the latter is, for me, a big

Both of the main Emacs packages for HTML, hm--html-menus and PSGML,
give you this.  PSGML also gives you syntax-directed editing (you
can't select an inappropriate tag from the menu or using
`sgml-insert-tag' which recognizes prefixes and completes them for
you), you have to enter it by hand) which is even better from the
point of view of us standards bigots.

But they aren't anywhere near WYSIWYG, or even really capable enough
to let you concentrate on content (in the sense of pointing, clicking,
and voila, new frame, or things like that).  It wouldn't be too hard
in XEmacs (but too time consuming and tedious for me to attempt at the
moment) to arrange for selecting images from a palette of thumbnails
(like xv's Visual Schnauzer mode) or audio clips from a list where
button 1 inserts in the HTML and button 2 previews.

Remind me sometime in December if you get the urge to try it out; I
haven't programmed images and audio in Emacs yet, this would be a good
excuse.  ;-)

    jdh> disadvantage of Linux at this point in time. So is the lack
    jdh> of a FrameMaker or Quark XPress.

Institute of Policy and Planning Sciences        Tel/fax: +1 (298) 53-5091
What are those two straight lines for?  "text/plain rules."