RE: tlug: kanji or romaji for Japanese?

On Oct 19,  6:08pm, "Olinsky, Craig" wrote:
} Subject: RE: tlug: kanji or romaji for Japanese?

>> 	Since there seem to be some intensely interested in this "guron", I
>> thought I'd pass along some useful references (All _highly_ recommended):

I have read all of these (well I haven't quite finished the Hannas.) I
know both Jim Unger and Nanette Gottlieb.

>> 	On "getting rid of" kanji and computer usage:
>>
>> 	   The Fifth Generation Fallacy : Why Japan Is Betting Its Future on
>> Artificial Intelligence/J. Marshall Unger/Oxford U Press, 1988

Interesting book. Very dated now, and *highly* opinionated.
(Jim and I had a slanging match on the sci.lang.japan group about this book.
There's a nasty review around from Earl Kinmonth. Makes fun reading.)

>> 	   Asia's Orthographic Dilemma/William Hannas/U of Hawaii Press, 1997

Very much in the DeForrest school of "the Chinese got it all wrong". Could
almost be a sequel to John DeF's book.

>> 	On post-war educational tests with Romaji or kana-only:
>>
>> 	   Literacy and Script Reform in Occupation Japan : Reading Between
>> the Lines /J. Marshall Unger/Oxford U Press, 1996

Interesting. One of Jim's better ones.

>> 	  Kanji Politics : Language Policy and Japanese Script (Japanese
>> Studies) /Nanette Gottlieb /Kegan Paul, 1996

Fascinating. Also read her "Language and the modern state : the reform of
written Japanese", which is published under her maiden name (Twine).

Cheers

Jim

--
Jim Breen        School of Computer Science & Software Engineering
Email: j.breen@example.com                Monash University