Re: tlug: kanji or romaji for Japanese? (was: parallel-port IDE)

Hi all,
	The recent discussions on romaji/kanji looks to be a deja vu.
	I remember there was a long and hot discussion between people (incl.
advocates who try to "romanize" Japanese) months ago. The homophone
issue was also discussed, and I mentioned it is a factor tightly and
mutually relating spoken and written Japanese. At the time, someone
proposed to use IPA symbols instead of kanji to write Japanese. It was
an interesting and funny idea. Also, we learnt that IPA symbols can be
expressed in 7-bit ASCII characters.

	Still now I believe we should not abolish the Japanese writing system
(incl. kana, kanji, romaji, etc). So, I continue to use kanji characters
anyway.

	But if some people really want to romanize our written communication, I
recommend them to learn some artificial language such as lojban
(http://xiron.pc.helsinki.fi/lojban/), and start running an ideally
romanized and internationalized sub-group of tlug. I believe choosing an
artificial language will be better than sticking to a national language
such as English or German, if one has to romanize his or her writing
system.

Regards,

Taro Yamamoto

--