Re: tlug: kanji or romaji for Japanese? (was: parallel-port IDE)

Karl-Max Wagner <karlmax@example.com> wrote,

> > And finally, there's that choice thing: if you don't want to use/view kanji on
> > your computer, don't.   You're free to only visit web sites that use the
> > Latin-1 character set (and maybe we ought to do away with parts of it in order
>
> That's what I do mainly. In the Internet the decision has
> already been taken: English rules. Whoever THINKS of setting up
> a website these days in another language than English ( apart
> from some cases with strictly local content that's not
> interesting to anybody outside a certain area ) ? Pretty much
> nobody. If you're after scientific / technical stuff like me,
> you're mostly be visiting sites in Europe / US / Australia / New
> Zealand. I haven't found much anywhere in Asia ( except some in
> Korea - but they were English ). I have several hundred
> bookmarks, but only three or four from Japan - and these are
> only of marginal interest, to say the least. None of them is
> technical.
>
> I just have to look at the companies in Germany. Most of the
> bigger ones are multinational and their internal reports are
> done in English. German is on its way out. Maybe we'll trash it
> one day completely ? Who knows. I for one wouldn't oppose
> that....

Come on, Karl-Max, are you really believing what you are
writing?  When I was a teaching assistant for a
undergraduate course in computing, we nearly caused a riot
when we wanted to use an English book for the lecture.
Luckily, a German translation appeared at that time.  The
English of most Germans is horrible -- maybe mine also :-)
Did you know that after English, German and Japanese are the
two most widely used languages on the Web?

Manuel