Re: Books (was Re: tlug: TLUG Finances)

On Fri, 16 Oct 1998, Masanori Smiley Omote wrote:

>Order should be over $50 except S/H.  Besides, other discount
>certificate can't be used at the same time.  The list price of that
>title is $47.95 at computerliteracy.com.  I think one additional book
>should be ordered.

We're better off buying in Japan, I think.  Skysoft books sells at U.S. cover
price converted to yen, and if we pick up the order (they will ship to any
Bunkyodo store in Japan), the shipping is free.  There's a Bunkyodo near my
house, so pick-up is no problem.  I got a couple books from them recently and
the service was good.  I think they accept furikomi payments, too, so that
saves the hassle of using someone's credit card.  Many O'Reilly titles,
though, aren't that bad even at places like Laox and T-Zone, though.

Unless there is a big savings to be made, I favor buying in Japan (whether at
a store or from Skysoft) and paying in Japanese currency.  Keeps things
simple that way.

A couple of other things I was considering for the shopping list are Maximum
RPM, and The Artist's Guide to GIMP (not yet published).  What do you all
think of those?

Jonathan Byrne
Media and Content Section
3Web - Your Internet Solution! <URL:http://www.threeweb.ad.jp/index.en.html>