Re: tlug: Internet connections from Linux

Howard Abbey wrote:

> > > However, I'm unable to configure Netscape to send mail, because when I
> > > put "mail.iname.com" as my outgoing mail server and press OK, it
> > > complains about the host not being found.
>
> "It's not a bug, it's a feature!"
>
> I've never experienced this particular problem, but my guess is that
> you're trying to do this while offline.  (A sensible thing to do.)
> Probably, Netscape likes to check for you that it's real.

You're right in that I was offline when doing it. However, why shouldn't
I be able to type in ANY host, and it only complain if it can't find it
when I actually use that setting by trying to post something? And then
it should try and look it up itself if I'm online. This is, after all,
the behaviour of the Windows version.

The really annoying this is not only that it complains "mail host XXX
not known", but also that you cannot leave that Preferences sub-screen
until you put one in that it "knows"! (from looking in /etc/hosts is my
guess). Or you have to abort with the Cancel button and lose all other
changes.

A PITA bug in my (still-new-to-Linux) opinion.

Anyway, I've got mail working now, and so my dependency on Windows is
rapidly evaporating. That was one of my goals, 'cause I just dread
waking up one morning, Windows fails to boot, and I've lost all means of
communication with the outside world. When I was changing jobs 6 months
ago and getting faxes and mail from headhunters and potential employers
I realised how dependent on that damned machine I was. My heart dropped
like a stone to my feet when it did temperamentally fail to boot one of
those mornings.

Cheers,

Neil.