Re: tlug: It's STORY time

    Frank> Karl-Max Wagner <karlmax@example.com> writes:
    >> > You're bound to fail if you address a skills shortage as
    >> > being solely about knowing things; you need institutional
    >> > structures that promote the acquisition of skills in the
    >> > first place.
    >>
    >> Hmmm. That's the kind of argument they used against Linux for a
    >> long time - there is no organisation behind it. Since Eric

<NASAL>Chigau-yo.</NASAL>  Please to insert "centralized".

    >> Raymond's famous essay we know better: if things have to be
    >> done quickly and efficiently chaos and the ensuing self
    >> organisation is the way to go. The famous "bazaar style
    >> working".

That's _not_ what Eric Raymond was saying; there are a lot of
preconditions for the bazaar to work (which ESR is aware of---plenty
of contextual evidence for that), as Frank points out.

    Frank> Well ... looks like we've got plenty of chaos, so what's
    Frank> the complaint?  :)

:-)  "That's the way, uh-huh, uh-huh, I laaaaaike it!  Uh-huh, uh-huh!"

    Frank> Small surprise, then, that Linux did not originate in the
    Frank> Japanese economy, where competition on raw skill in the
    Frank> market for software jobs did not figure until (I'm
    Frank> guessing) recently.

Analysis correct, IMO, and the fact is definitely correct, if
"recently" == since 1985.

    >> I know. Still too many suits in charge everywhere. But that
    >> will change eventually.

Never.  Engineers hate being boss once they get there; they only
fantasize about it when they're young and powerless.

    >> > would be a good idea in Japan.
    >>
    >> I think it would be a very good idea. Things have to be done in
    >> a hurry there. Consequently bazaar style.

    Frank> The obvious (congruent) analogy to what you seem to be
    Frank> proposing is the English-teaching trade in Japan.

Excellent analogy!  Although I think Karl-Max actually has something
somewhat different and more structured than his words suggest in mind.

Institute of Policy and Planning Sciences        Tel/fax: +1 (298) 53-5091