Re: tlug: It's STORY time

> Very flattering to the keepers of the REAL know how who are tuned
> in to this list.  But are you sure this is the _only_ way? (Let
> alone the most efficient way?)

Not the only. But sure the quickest.

> You're bound to fail if you address a skills shortage as being
> solely about knowing things; you need institutional structures
> that promote the acquisition of skills in the first place.

Hmmm. That's the kind of argument they used against Linux for a
long time - there is no organisation behind it. Since Eric
Raymond's famous essay we know better: if things have to be done
quickly and efficiently chaos and the ensuing self organisation
is the way to go. The famous "bazaar style working".

> Giving a lot of dosh unconditionally to a bunch of foreign
> consultants wouldn't be considered smart practice in the US (or
> Germany for that matter); I can't see any reason to think it

I know. Still too many suits in charge everywhere. But that will
change eventually.

> would be a good idea in Japan.

I think it would be a very good idea. Things have to be done in
a hurry there. Consequently bazaar style.

> Or am I overlooking something?  :)

Yes. You overlooked the glaring success of the bazaar style way
of doing things in the vast majority of cases it was applied.
You are right that it hasn't been used yet for solving problems
outside things revolving ( more or less ) around computing. But
that is no excuse.

"It was hell. They knew it.          Karl-Max Wagner
  But they called it                 karlmax@example.com
    W-I-N-D-O-Z-E"