Re: tlug: It's STORY time

Karl-Max Wagner <karlmax@example.com> writes:

> There are lots of technical fields in Japan where a sound know
> how base is totally lacking. The only way to get that fixed
> would be to hire foreign experts with some REAL know how ( NOT
> academics ! ) and leave them lots of freedom to do what they
> consider necessary. That would eventually fix things up.

Very flattering to the keepers of the REAL know how who are tuned
in to this list.  But are you sure this is the _only_ way? (Let
alone the most efficient way?)

You're bound to fail if you address a skills shortage as being
solely about knowing things; you need institutional structures
that promote the acquisition of skills in the first place.
Giving a lot of dosh unconditionally to a bunch of foreign
consultants wouldn't be considered smart practice in the US (or
Germany for that matter); I can't see any reason to think it
would be a good idea in Japan.

Or am I overlooking something?  :)

Cheers,
--