Re: tlug: libc or glibc,easy install

On Tue, 13 Oct 1998, Darren Cook wrote:

>2.I heard that the RedHat CD on sale in Akihabara was a buggy version
>(5.0?), so I'd end up having to download lots of replacements. Has that
>changed?

I doubt it :-)

>3.Any recommendations/advice generally? I want it to be easy to install,
>and not require me to invest lots of time learning/understanding things (at
>the expense of speed, disk space and flexibility if neccessary).

Generally?  TurboLinux.  It's got both libc5 and glibc (Scott, is this going
away for 3.0?), has good Japanese support (if you care), and has a lot of
ease-of-use tools to help ease into it.  Not at the expense of flexibility,
though.  If you want to edit everything by hand instead, feel free :-)
Speedwise, you should most likely see better performance than you get with NT.
Any machine that has the horsepower to run NT even halfway decently has quite
enough to do well with Linux.  I run mine on a Pentium 100 with 48 meg (was a
90, but I got a Pentium 100 chip for 200 or 300 yen at the TLUG auction.
Works great :-)   ).

3.0 (now in beta) will have even more ease-of-use tools than 2.0, so you get
even more to look forward too :-)  Code Crusader (a Code Warrior-alike) will
also be in there, 'cuz I'm always scouting around on freshmeat and places,
looking for more cool stuff for them to add :-)

A lot of people seem to also like Debian, although I've read that Dselect is
kind of scary for Linux beginners (Steve, Joe, is it really?)

Cheers,

Jonathan Byrne
Media and Content Section
3Web - Your Internet Solution! <URL:http://www.threeweb.ad.jp/index.en.html>