Re: My *beepin* 486 (was Re: tlug: The meeting...)

On Mon, 12 Oct 1998, Sean Bennett wrote:

> The m/b is a Micron TS00825 - M4PI PS/2;  I'm not sure of the bios version.  There
> is a video card installed, but *no* floppy or cdrom, if that could be a cause.

You can find a diagram and jumper settings for this board at:

<http://www.micronpc.com/support/faq/mbdfaq/486specs.html>

More specs are at:

<http://www.micronpc.com/support/faq/mbdfaq/specs/ts17925.html#PCIfour>

This motherboard supports FPM memory but not EDO, so if the memory you got
from that Pentium machine is EDO, that may well be the problem.

I've also confirmed that you have a Phoenix BIOS, and according to my book,
a 1-3-3 beep pattern from a Phoenix BIOS means:

First 64K RAM chip or date line failure, multibit.
Code at port 80h: 0Ah

Lots of 486 boards do not support EDO RAM, so this seems at least
suspicious.  Perhaps some of the real experts on this (Karl-Max?) could
confirm whether this failure code is consistent with putting EDO memory in a
motherboard that doesn't support it.

Jonathan