Re: tlug: parallel-port IDE

"Stephen J. Turnbull" <turnbull@example.com> wrote:

> Who will pay my bus fare and substitute in my classes?  Oh, for the
> freedom to hang out in Akihabara!  Just once a month would be nice.

You've done a context switch. The topic of discussion is not about
procuring for universities out in the inaka, but about running a
business in Tokyo. You have my deepest sympathies, in any case.

Funny, though, when I was in a position similar to yours, we had vendors
calling on us who were capable programmers, could keep us supplied with
the latest hardware module upgrades, and spoke good English. This was in
Tokyo, however, and in the CP/M days. Today, I suppose, people with good
knowledge about computers prefer consulting jobs over sales work.
Margins are different today than they were then, for one thing. In those
days, consulting and sales were pretty similar.

--
John De Hoog, Tokyo
dehoog@example.com