tlug: Threadiquette [was: IMAP]

    jdh> Someone wrote:
    >> Oops.  This was sent out under the wrong subject.  Sorry for the
    >> re-posting.

    jdh> It's still under the wrong subject for anyone using a

??  Many messaging clients elide the subject in threads as long as it
is identical up to stripping Re: off the front, but all that I know
show a changed subject (even if only because the TLUG sequence number
changed).  I've never seen one that doesn't, even if the thread is
collapsed.

    jdh> threaded email client. So is your later "boot floppy for
    jdh> dd'ing disks", which you managed to send out as a subthread
    jdh> of this subthread.

Question: although some MUAs claim to thread on subjects, eg, VM, VM
doesn't do it very well.  Does anybody have recommendations for a
Emacs-based mail reader that does threading very well?  (I'll steal
the code; the interface doesn't have to be any good ;-).  If you like
Gnus for news, I don't need to hear about it; I'm interested in _mail_
capabilities, which are much harder since many MUAs don't use
Reference headers.

I'm also willing to port C code if necessary, but would rather not ;-)

    jdh> The proper way to send new mail under a new subject is to
    jdh> start a new thread, not reply to an existing thread and
    jdh> change the subject.  Geez, even us Whinedoze users know that
    jdh> much! ;-)

You're too modest---you even trimmed the References header.  Yes!!

Institute of Policy and Planning Sciences        Tel/fax: +1 (298) 53-5091