Re: tlug: LILO Vs. 1024 - Round 2

> The first primary partition is a 128 meg swap.

The only issue might be if mkswap complains -- a swap partition needs to
be strictly less than 127.6875 MB (assuming x86).  You might have to
explicitly give the number of blocks to mkswap if the partition size is
a little too big:

    mkswap /dev/hda1 130752

> On the BIOS side, the reported info for the disk is:
>
> Type                      [user]  6498 MB
> Cyclinders                [12592]
> Heads                     [16]
> Sectors/track             [63]

> Fdisk is now reporting 16 heads, 63 sectors, 12592 cyclinders, so the zero
> heads problem appears to be gone.  It still gives me the warning about LILO
> and 1024, but the root partition is completely within the first 1024
> cyclinders, so I'm hoping I won't have a problem there now.

You should be gold.  With the size of your filesystems, you might want
to play with tune2fs to ensure reasonably fast boots:

    # tune2fs -c 60 -C 0 /dev/hda2	# /
    # tune2fs -c 60 -C 10 /dev/hda5	# /var
    # tune2fs -c 60 -C 20 /dev/hda6	# /tmp
    # tune2fs -c 60 -C 30 /dev/hda7	# /home
    # tune2fs -c 60 -C 40 /dev/hda8	# /usr/local
    # tune2fs -c 60 -C 50 /dev/hda9	# /usr

This will ensure that you never have more than one forced-fsck at boot
time, and that each filesystem will only be force-fsck'd every 60
mounts.  If you don't shut down your machine every night like I do, you
should probably increase the frequency considerably.

You should probably do this in single-user mode before everything is
mounted.

Note that by default it will still force a fsck for any filesystem that
hasn't been fsck in 6 months.

Regards,
--
Rex