Re: tlug: LILO Vs. 1024??

On Wed, 7 Oct 1998, Rex Walters wrote:

>The main reason to use multiple filesystems (IMHO) is to

<and a lot more :-)   >

Thanks for all the good info on this, Rex.  So you would recommend separate
partitions for:

/home
/
/user

Any others?

Question: as of now it seems there is no way to change the size of an ext2
partition on the fly, so if you want to change the size of one or more
partitions on a physical disk, that involves backing them up, zapping some or
all of them with fdisk, then making new partitions and restoring the data.  To
describe this as a pain in the rear would be charitable :-)

Do you (or does anyone) know of any projects under development - free or not-
to provide the type of on-the-fly partitioning capabilities that Partition
Magic provides for practically everything on Intel except UNIX/Linux?  Right
now, Partition Magic only reads ext2 but doesn't write it.  I hope someday
they add write capability, but I also hope someday comes a lot sooner.

Cheers,

Jonathan Byrne
Media and Content Section
3Web - Your Internet Solution! <URL:http://www.threeweb.ad.jp/index.en.html>