Re: tlug: LILO Vs. 1024??

On Wed, 7 Oct 1998, Rex Walters wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 07, 1998 at 12:33:22AM +0900, Jonathan Byrne wrote:
> >
> > Without the floppy, it just sits there,stuck.  Never gets to LILO.
>
> What does your lilo.conf look like?  Have you tried the "linear" option.
> Be sure to rerun lilo if you change anything.
>
> Are you using some sort of multi-boot manager (system commander or
> somesuch) or are you jumping directly to lilo from the MBR?
>
> > LBA mode is enabled and fdisk now reports the 6.4 GB disk as being 787
> > cyclinders times the unlikely head count of 0
>                                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> This can't be right.  Something is very wrong.

It could be rolling over the maximum limit of what fdisk thinks the
maximum number of heads should be...?

On a maxtor 8.4GB EIDE, I get:

Without LBA:
	16 heads, 63 sectors, 16383 cylinders

With LBA:
	255 heads, 63 sectors, 1021 cylinders

so, maybe something IS screwed up, if a 6.4 GB disk is showing 0 heads..?

> I'd like to see the lilo config, fdisk output, as well as the boot
> messages.
>
> Regards,
> --
> Rex
> Next Meeting: 10 October, 12:30 Tokyo Station Yaesu central gate
> Featuring the IMASY Eng. Team on "IPv6 - The Next Generation IP"
> Next Nomikai: 20 November, 19:30  Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
> Sponsor: PHT, makers of TurboLinux http://www.pht.co.jp

               <sstone@example.com>
Head of TurboLinux Development/Systems Administrator
Pacific HiTech, Inc (USA) / Pacific HiTech, KK (Japan)