Re: tlug: Printed media?? Who needs TeX?

On Wed, 30 Sep 1998, Jonathan Byrne - 3Web wrote:

> On Wed, 30 Sep 1998, John De Hoog wrote:
>
> >Sometimes I worry about you people in academia. ;-) Don't you know by
> >now that printed output is going the way of the typewriter, and that
> >digital output on flat screens and publishing via the Internet are the
> >direction the world is headed?
>
> And that's why bookstores are filled with more computer books than ever
> before, because computers are moving us toward a paperless paradigm, right?  I
> remember people saying that 20 years ago, and they were just as wrong then as
> they are now.  Lots of people of people still read paper computer magazines,
> too.  And - dare I say it - there are hundreds of books that even teach people
> to use HTML :-)
>
> Electronic publishing is and will continue to be a great adjunct to print, but
> it doesn't seem to be doing a very good job of killing it off yet.  That may
> someday happen, but not someday soon.

I'm sure Gates was thinking similarly when he said that 640k should be
enough for anyone... I'm sure he thought, "Well, maybe SOMEDAY they'll
need more, but not anytime soon..."

               <sstone@example.com>
Head of TurboLinux Development/Systems Administrator
Pacific HiTech, Inc (USA) / Pacific HiTech, KK (Japan)