Re: tlug: Linux Users Old and New (was: High-end vs Low-end Linux)

Jonathan Byrne - 3Web <jq@example.com> wrote about WYSIWYG HTML
editors:

> How do they suck?  Let me count the ways :-)  They suck because they produce
> really crummy HTML.
> I could also go off on a rant about how they also suck because they not only
> do nothing to encourage their users to learn to do HTML right (that is, by
> hand), but many users of WYSIWYG editors are unaware that there is even such a
> thing as a right way or a wrong way to do it.

Well, I'm one of those people who used to program (on an 8-bit machine)
but prefers to use a tool like NetObjects Fusion for Web page creation.
Lots of people tell me the results are pretty decent. I agree that the
HTML resulting from this and other programs like it is inefficient, but
the Web user doesn't see any of that.

Some advantages of this approach are:
1) I can maintain a fairly large site and still keep a full-time job.
2) The program doesn't just turn out HTML, it also manages assets and
links. Rearranging the site is extremely simple, without breaking any
links. (Does Linux even have a site-management program?)
3) I can try different things and see the results instantly, which means
I experiment a lot more with the overall design than I would if I had to
hand-code every little change.

In short, a program like NetObjects Fusion makes it possible for
ordinary people with good taste to design Web sites that look great,
rather than leaving it up to all those geeky types with pencils in their
shirtpockets. (Present company excluded, of course.)

If you are really concerned about clean HTML, a program like DreamWeaver
might be preferable to NOF, since it gives you more control over the
html and isn't as likely to trounce on your hand-coded sections.

If your only experience with WYSIWGY HTML editors is with netscape and
ms word, I understand your dislike of them.
--
John De Hoog, Tokyo     <dehoog@example.com>

washi@example.com

Visit Washi's Scrapbook: http://washi.nu (made with NetObjects Fusion)