Re: tlug: Linux Users Old and New (was: High-end vs Low-end Linux)

On Tue, 29 Sep 1998, Jonathan Byrne - 3Web wrote:

> Never is.  The programmers are at the tip of a pyramid which grows
> from the top down.  At least Linux will probably always have a thicker
> top than most other pyramids.

One can always wish.

I had developed a pretty good rant (I thought) concerning non-programmers
who felt that the Linux dev community somehow owed them ease-of-use tools
-- otherwise they wouldn't deign to use our opsys.  Unfortunately (or
fortunately), I'm too tired to do it justice.  Maybe after we do our
release tomorrow.

> Agreed that it's orthoganal or agreed that ease-of-use tools encourage a poor
> end product?

The latter.  For reasons that I've already beat to death.

> One is just that a person who doesn't know jack about how to not make
> an ugly page can make just as ugly of a page with TeX as they can with
> a graphical word processor, or a visual (but not graphical) one from
> the DOS days.

Sure, but making a page in TeX necessitates more knowledge about
typesetting.  If the page comes out wrong, at least you're doing it wrong
the right way.

--	Chris (wileyc@example.com)