Re: tlug: Re: Linux taking over the globe?

> > Should students really learn to use Linux, as long as they
> > use computers just as a tool for wordprocessing and
> > calculating?
I don't think so.  But nor should they 'learn' Windows.  They should
learn menu system of whatever OS they're using.  They should learn
the word processor.  (I'm talking extremely non-computer fields here,
say doctors, or artists.)  Even if it were Dos, they should learn
to type in the correct program name.  I could consider that learning
an OS, but it's learning how to use a very basic part of it.  It's
not what some would call a 'serious use of computers'.

Linux is at the point now where I could see it being used in a
university setting in this way.  At my (very technical) school, the
primary word processor was Word Perfect for (SunOS) Unix.  It was on
the menu system, and to use it the only Unix knowledge needed was to
login and click the mouse button to get to the menu system.  Right up
there with Click Start/Programs.  And since the administrator in a
university setting had better have a bit of computer knowledge to set
up any OS safely, Linux would be an easy choice.

Of course, all technical students, and perhaps everyone, should take
at least an introductory programming course, where you'd get into
an OS more deeply, as was mentioned.

--
Howard