Re: tlug: List of meta's for different languages

From: Darren Cook <darren@example.com>
Subject: tlug: List of meta's for different languages
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 1998 18:56:02

darren> Has anyone seen a list of what the meta tags should be for each language
darren> (Japanese, Chinese, etc)? Actually more than a standard, I'm looking for a
darren> guide for what to use so that it will be recognized by both Explorer and
darren> Netscape, and both versions 3 and 4.

Use of characters sets is specified in the HTML4.0 specification.
The section you want is
http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/charset.html#encodings

The document refers to another document for the actual list.  The link to that
document was slow, so I've archived it at:
ftp://ftp.pht.com/pub/linux/tlug/linux_nihongo/doc/character-sets.txt

An example of specifying euc-jp is shown below.  specification is case
insensitive.

Not sure what works with Netscape.  However, Netscape should and probably
does follow the HTML 4.0 guidelines.

-- Craig