RE: tlug: shelling root

On Mon, 28 Sep 1998, Eric S. Standlee wrote:

> But, that doesn't explain how su root doesn't have all the same priv.s as
> login root... Help.

make sure you do it like this:

su -

instead of like:

su

when you use the -, it implies 'login shell', so everything gets set
correctly, just like if you log in as root.

> Also, if I plan to network my machines, what is the better solution for
> pppd then?

what's wrong with ethernet?  Or is this a WAN application?

> Eric S. Standlee
> Kashihara City, Nara Prefecture, Japan
> e-w.standlee@example.com
> fwiw3980@example.com <default>
>
> On Sun, 27 Sep 1998, Jim Schweizer wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > On 27-Sep-98 Eric S. Standlee wrote:
> > > I have a problem shelling root and not being able to ppp-on.  If I get out
> > > of that user and exit altogether and then login root, it works just fine!
> > >
> > > What's up?
> >
> > Permissions on pppd.
> >
> > *If* you're on a standalone Linux box with no other users and you're just
> > dialing up your ISP, it's probably OK to set the sticky bit on pppd. For example
> >
> > schweiz:~$ ls -l /usr/sbin/pppd
> > -rws--x--x   1 root     bin         70040 Aug 29  1995 /usr/sbin/pppd*
> >
> > allows me to run pppd as USER schweiz on the aging Linux box in my home office.
> >
> > HTH
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Jim S.

> > Next Meeting: 10 October, 12:30 Tokyo Station Yaesu central gate
> > Next Nomikai: 20 November, 19:30  Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
> > Sponsor: PHT, makers of TurboLinux http://www.pht.co.jp

> Next Meeting: 10 October, 12:30 Tokyo Station Yaesu central gate
> Next Nomikai: 20 November, 19:30  Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
> Sponsor: PHT, makers of TurboLinux http://www.pht.co.jp

               <sstone@example.com>
Head of TurboLinux Development/Systems Administrator
Pacific HiTech, Inc (USA) / Pacific HiTech, KK (Japan)