Re: tlug: Transitioning to Linux (was: Many Faces on Linux)

Eric S. Standlee writes:
 > I understand LaTeX's theory that their method should make writing text
 > better, but my problem is that TeXes only add thousands of key strokes to
 > a long product.  GUI wp's take the needless keystrokes and make same
 > processes available...  If there is a better way to use Tex/LaTeX, please
 > tell me so that I can consider that also.
Unless your are writing a lot of mathematical formulas the number of
added keystrokes is not so large. And even then you have a way of
reading the formulas pretty easily in ascii format. For example:
$e^{-x^2}$ is pretty easy to read/write and you get a nice formula
in your Text without much difficulty. Additionally, you don`t have to
worry about line or page breaks and there is even some kind of wysiwyg
support for latex called lyx. I haven`t tried that one because I don`t
really need it.

 > Does TeX/LaTeX support Japanese?  Are there conversions into other doc
 > formats?

There is japanese support and some coversion possibilities. I know of
latex2html for example. I don`t know if there is a conversion to word
or other such programs. Of course the standard is to translate the
.dvi file which is produced by TeX/LaTeX into postscript using dvips.
For a lot of examples of LaTeX you may want to look at a preprint
server like http://xxx.lanl.gov/. All those documents are written in
TeX/LaTeX and you can also look at the Postscript results.

Marcus

Dr. Marcus Metzler
Department of Physics    | $B")(B $B#2#7#4!<#8#5#1#0(B
Toho University          | $B@example.com)A%66;T;0;3#2!<#2!<#1(B
Miyama 2-2-1, Funabashi, | $BElK.Bg3X(B  $BM}3XIt(B  $BJ*M}(B
Chiba 274-8510           |
Japan			 |
e-mail : mocm@example.com