tlug: "bz2" file format?

At kernel.org, in addition to .gz files, they have .bz2 files. They tend
to be about 20% smaller than the .gz files. As such, if they are an
alternative to the .gz files of the same name, I'd rather download the
smaller "bz2" files.

Is "bz2" some new compressed format? If so, how do I uncompress it?

Cheers,

Neil.