Re: tlug: Intel, Netscape Investing in RedHat

On Sat, 26 Sep 1998, Sean Bennett wrote:

>Intel and Netscape are taking minority stakes in RedHat

This is indeed interesting, and will doubtless drive a few more cracks into
the MS/Intel relationship.  Despite what they publicly say about being
buddy-buddy, it seems increasingly clear that Intel wants more independence
from Microsoft, both to shield itself from anti-trust fallout, and to be able
to more freely pursue strategies that benefit Intel, whether or not they
benefit Microsoft as well.  And you're right, this is bound to make MS
nervous: they wouldn't be where they are today without their tight partnership
with Intel, and if that partnership were to severly weaken, it would certainly
hurt MS.  But be careful of a scared Microsoft: it's likely to react violently
when cornered and turn its formidable resources to squeezing Linux.

>are spent on Win machines.  But I do enjoy competition, and
>things are going to be interesting over the next year, don't
>you think?

I do indeed.  I'm not much of a Windows basher either, but I do like Linux a
lot and if it does someday move from being a better server solution to being a
better desktop solution as well as a better back office solution, I sure
wouldn't be disappointed.  1997 was a great year for Linux, 1998 has also been
one, and 1999 looks to  be another.  Linux is really going to earn its
mainstream wings in 1999, I think.

>Nnet/Nakamura Shoji Co. Ltd.

What does Nakamura Shoji do?

Cheers,