tlug: Intel, Netscape Investing in RedHat

I found this after my last post re: linux/windows;

Intel, Netscape Buying Into RedHat
http://www.msnbc.com/news/199840.asp

Intel and Netscape are taking minority stakes in RedHat
software, which will surely...

a) give a boost to the *legitimacy* of linux as a viable,
mainstream OS
b) sure to scare the begeevers out of MS; as the *Lintel*
platform develops, and attracts more developers, users, etc,
the *Wintel* platform, and MS's strongarm power over the
industry looks to weaken
c) broadens Intel's *circle of influence*; sure, a good
percentage of linux installations are most likely already
running on intel based platforms, but this is bound to
fortify the association (will we see 'Intel Inside' and
'Designed for RH5.x' labels on pc's in the near future??)
d)gives, at the very least, a little mud for Netscape to
kick in MS's direction. Not that MS Windows is by anymeans
fading, but a new wave towards linux is growing, and right
now Netscape is on it while MS is not.

Don't get me wrong; I'm not a windows basher (atleast full
time :-)  A good portion of my days at the office, and home,
are spent on Win machines.  But I do enjoy competition, and
things are going to be interesting over the next year, don't
you think?

Sean.

Sean Bennett      < sean@example.com >
Nnet/Nakamura Shoji Co. Ltd.