Re: tlug: Re: Many Faces on Linux

    Scott> On Tue, 22 Sep 1998, Jonathan Byrne wrote:
    >> On Mon, 21 Sep 1998, Rex Walters wrote:
    >>
    >> > If making money simply from selling cd's, documentation, and
    >> support > isn't appealing, consider letting others do the gui
    >> work for you.  If
    >>
    >> What do you think of this idea: source-included shareware.  The
    >> license agreement would work basically the same way that other
    >> shareware does:
    >>
    >> What do the rest of you think?  Would you be support Open
    >> Source shareware and/or "donation-ware" software for Linux?

    Scott> I like this idea.  It'd probably give RMS a heart attack,
    Scott> though, but that's probably a good selling point, IMHO :) I
    Scott> think a lot of people that are currently developing
    Scott> shareware are kind of leery of Linux for the same reason
    Scott> that ManyFaces's author is - they fear that they can't make
    Scott> money with a Linux port.  This idea would help to change
    Scott> that, I think.

I like the idea as well. I question the practicality though. The
problem is making payment painless. There is lots of stuff out there
for a nominal fee, say $10-20. Unless I can pay via the web, I'm
probably not going to bother. If I have to do a bank transfer, money
order, whatever, it become a) too expensive, b) to much of a
pain. That may sound kind of lame, but I'd be wiling to bet that that
is what happens to a lot of authors potential income.

Andy