Re: tlug: Re: Linux taking over the globe?

Karl-Max Wagner <karlmax@example.com> wrote,

> > I know.  Most of the !$#% spam I get these days is relayed through .de
> > addresses.  Of course it originates in compu$erve.net domain.
>
> That's the downside of it. Unfortunately Linux is extremely user
> friendly and comes with everything enabled. They just throw it
> at their machines, plug them into the university LAN and don't
> care about them any further. Sendmail usually is happily running
> as a daemon and forwards dutifully any crap given to it.

Sendmail from version 8.9.x onwards comes with forwarding of
non-local messages disabled by default.  This should help
and shows that sometimes it is not only the skill of the
user, but also that of the distributor which counts.

Every Linux user starts as a beginner and the standard
distributions should make sure that a vanilla system is in a
sufficiently paranoid mode on installation.

Manuel