Re: tlug: Problems with my harddisk

On Tue, 22 Sep 1998, Austin Kurahone wrote:

>Well I got a new computer about 2 months ago, and I go a IBM 4GB IDE,
>and even if I was working in a non airconditioned enviorment with the
>room temp rising above 30, it still functions very reliably.  I think
>that it is possible to find one of their 6GB's for under 40,000.

If you'd pay that much for one, could I also interest you in some swampland in
Florida?  :-)

IBM 10.1 GB IDE drives are under 40,000.  The 6.4 GB units are in the 24,000 -
25,000 range.  The SCSI drives cost quite a bit more, so considering the size
and speed, I would certainly go with an IDE unit for a home PC, unless I
wanted to set up a RAID.

Your experience with the WD drives bears out what I've been hearing, too.  My
three year old WD Caviar is a terrific drive, but I've heard WD isn't what it
once was :-(

Cheers,

Jonathan Byrne
Media and Content Section