Re: tlug: XBF source released to XFree86

Chris Sekiya <chris@example.com> wrote,

> On Tue, 22 Sep 1998 craigoda@example.com wrote:
>
> > The source code for XBF was released with the agreement of NeoMagic.
>
> " ... has authorized the release to XFree86 of the Red Hat funded Linux
> drivers ... "
>
> Not quite the same thing.  I didn't see any provisions for releasing the
> driver source to the general public.

I am not quite sure what you mean by that.  If you want to
say, the general public has to wait until XFree86
distributes the sources, I agree.  If you want to say, only
the XFree86 team will see the sources, I disagree, and refer
to a latter paragraph in the same Slashdot article

  Previously, NeoMagic binary-only drivers,
  developed by Precision Insight Inc., were released
  by Red Hat as part of their XBF program, but
  source code had been withheld pending
  authorization by NeoMagic. With this
  authorization, full source code for these fully
  accelerated, commercial quality drivers is
  available and will be included in the next release
  of the industry standard XFree86 X Server.

So, finally everybody will have the source :-)

Manuel