Re: tlug: e-Mailers [was: Mew on (X)Emacs the way to go?

craigoda@example.com wrote:

> From: John De Hoog <washi@example.com>
> washi> Doesn't really matter. If Linux is versatile, it has to support what
> washi> individual users want; and this individual user wants his In-box HTML
> washi> mail without having to use Netscape Navigator. I want it right in my
> washi> preview window. I ordered it, so why would I not want it? The
> washi> technology exists, and has for years, so why not take advantage of it?

Upon reading this a second time, I noticed /remembered something.  Mutt
doesn't
even read TEXT messages.  It calls a 'built-in pager', or you can have
it call
another pager.  (I'm not at my computer now, but I pretty sure it does,
and I
know elm did.)  So, why wouldn't it call another program (Lynx /
Netscape) to
read HTML?  Part of the advantage of Linux is it's modularity.  People
get a
great e-mail filter (procmail) without being forced to use a particular
mail
fetcher.  People get a mail fetcher (procmail /sendmail /qmail...)
without
being forced into an message organizer (A.K.A. mail reader).  I think
the same
should be true for HTML readers.

Do-it-all programs are a frequent problem in commercial software.  Look
at all
the suite's out there.  MS Office is the most famous now.  Lotus has
another.  What if I like M.S. Word & Lotus 1-2-3?  Applix is a main one
for Linux.  You
end up getting one (maybe two) good programs in a suite.  The rest are
often extra tack ons.  In free, open source software, the effort for
those extra tack
ons should be put to the 'competing' already good program for that
application.
Part of the reasons suite's developed were to help integrate
applications, i.e.
each new version's file type was incompatible with previous versions &
therefore
any other program that could import it.  If you're trying to get people
to buy
as much software as possible, it almost makes sense.  Why use widespread
standards so your software's already compatible?  If your trying to get
out
the best software with the least amount of wasted effort, it's silly.

People coming from Windows are used to one application does everything.
"What! This word processor doesn't have a built in spell checker?!?"
Of course not, it can call an excellent program already made, ispell.

In my opinion, the same with e-mail.  Don't hinder e-mail programs by
requiring them to be viewers.  Let them call other programs to do it.
(Moving
your eyes and mouse to another window isn't that hard, really now.)
Programs that try to do everything tend to do nothing well.

> Development of Linux is definitely driven by the needs of those that
> use Linux.
And also by the programmers and users who've been around enough to know
how good software gets created.  (Hopefully.)

later,
Howard