Re: tlug: Sony Vaio

From: "Manuel M. T. Chakravarty" <chak@example.com>
Subject: Re: tlug: Sony Vaio
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 1998 17:01:32 +0900

Manuel,
this is  a very informative e-mail.  I hadn't actually tried the modem
extensively since I was on an ethernet.  I shall try it now.  :-)

chak> The modems works with Linux.  I am running TL2.0 on a VAIO
chak> 505.  The problem with the modem is only to have the right
chak> IRQ assignment.  By default your /etc/sysconfig/pcmcia will
chak> have a line
chak>
chak>   PCIC_OPTS=irq_list=3,4,5,7,10,11,12,14,15
chak>
chak> Unfortunately, interrupt 3 is also used by the internal
chak> modem.  So, when you insert a PCMCIA card, the modem doesn't
chak> work anymore.  By changing the above line to
chak>
chak>   PCIC_OPTS=irq_list=4,5,7,10,11,12,14,15
chak>
chak> the problem disappears (I guess you maybe should also take
chak> interrupt 5 out of the list as it is used by the sound card
chak> -- but on my machine PCMCIA doesn't attempt to use it

chak> There is one problem however.  The 505 does not have a
chak> built-in CD-ROM (not surprising given its size).  The
chak> optional (external) CD-ROM from Sony comes with a special
chak> kind of PCMCIA card, which doesn't work with Linux.  Maybe I
chak> should say, doesn't work for me.  Maybe somebody already
chak> wrote a driver, I don't know -- if anybody has some
chak> information regarding this matter, please tell me.

Ahh, I was about to buy the CD-ROM.  Good thing I didn't.  I wonder
if the VAIO will work with a SCSI CD.  I think there are PCMCIA SCSI cards
for under 150 USD.   SCSI might also be nice for other periphs.

Say, has anyone ever played with the universal serial port or the infrared
port with the VAIO under Linux?  The infrared link might be very nice
with something like pilot-xfer.