Re: tlug: SSL for Apache web server

On Fri, 18 Sep 1998, Shigeo Honda wrote:

>I checked 'Verisgin' Japanese office site. It's costs 85000 yen for 12
>months. I don't think it expensive for business use. However I do want
>to know other way to 'get secure server'.

>Is 'Verisgin' is the only way to get SSL code? If we decide that we

I'm not totally sure whether you're looking for sources of a site certificate
(without the site certificate, a secure server doesn't do you much good), or
sources of an SSL server, so I'll see what I can do to cover both.

We buy our site certificates from:

Thawte Consulting
Certification Serivices Division
E-mail:server-certs@example.com

RSA also sells certificates, but I'm not sure of their e-mail address.

For secure web servers, you can get Apache SSL for free (commercial use OK
outside the United States) at: <http://www.apache-ssl.org/>

For information on Apache Stronghold, check out <http://www.int.c2.net/>

Incidentally, when I was looking at the apache.org site today, they had an
announcement that apache 1.3 has been released, and there is a a win32 build.
How's that for an alternative to MS? :-)  They did mention that the win32
version is not yet as stable as the UNIX version, but I'm sure that will get
better.  They have the disclaimer that at this time, Windows support is
entirely only experimental and they recommend Apache for win32 only for
experienced users.  Doesn't sound quite like something I'd want to turn loose
in a critical environment yet.

I bet MS must just love the debut of Apache for Windows :-)

Jonathan Byrne
Media and Content Section
3Web - Your Internet Solution! <URL:http://www.threeweb.ad.jp/index.en.html>
3Web Channel <URL: http://www.3web.co.jp/index.en.html>