Re: tlug: SSL for Apache web server

On Fri, 18 Sep 1998, Shigeo Honda wrote:

> Hi,
>
> My company has a plan to setup selling books and music CDs web site And
> I have to setup secure web server, that handles credit card information.
> I'd like to use Linux and Apache combination for this service, not the
> NT.
> It's a kind of experimental service. So we just handle 30 to 50 items.
>
> I checked 'Verisgin' Japanese office site. It's costs 85000 yen for 12
> months. I don't think it expensive for business use. However I do want
> to know other way to 'get secure server'.
>
> Is 'Verisgin' is the only way to get SSL code? If we decide that we
> don't need 128 encryption, 64 encryption is enough. Are there other
> company sells SSL code?

wow, that's a LOT of money.  PHT uses Stronghold for our secure webserver.
They've got a non-US office, so you can theoretically buy it for use in
Japan.. not sure how much it costs now, it was $1000 when we bought it,
but that did include SOURCE CODE, and a big box with manuals and stuff,
and a year's certificate from Thawte Consulting (their certs are only
$150/year.  And they're recognized by all browsers, just like Verisign's
are).

As for credit card handling, well, if you want automatic credit card
processing, I think that in Japan that may be something that you simply
can't do - we can't find any software here that handles Japanese cards.
However, if you only need to handle American cards, and you go through an
American bank (not likely in your case, eh?), the DOS version of ICVerify
works great under dosemu.  That's what we're using, actually, for
automatic credit card processing.

Let me know if you have any other questions about any of this..

               <sstone@example.com>
Head of TurboLinux Development/Systems Administrator
Pacific HiTech, Inc (USA) / Pacific HiTech, KK (Japan)