Re: tlug: IGS/Go How-To

>> I forgot to ask. Is there a stand alone program that allows you to
>> play against the computer?
>
>for Linux?  Try 'xgoban-wally', from sunsite.  Run the a.out binaries as

Wally is about the only freeware go program, and as the name suggests plays
only slightly better than a random player - maybe 30kyu.

There are many DOS/Windows programs, and one or two Mac programs. The
following URL is for a free 9x9 go program (Windows - I don't know if it
will work under Linux's emulator or not), which will play a fairly strong
game, and give you a rough idea of your level.

  http://pw1.netcom.com/~fotland/igowin.html

BTW, don't look down on 9x9 go - it's a good way to improve your tactical
fighting and you get to fit more games into an hour. If you play 19x19 and
your tactics are weak it can be very depressing as the opponent
systematically captures all your stones.

Darren