Re: tlug: Any TLUGgers interested in Go?

On Wed, 16 Sep 1998, Rex Walters wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 07, 1998 at 06:49:43PM +0900, Rex Walters wrote:
> > On Mon, Sep 07, 1998 at 06:22:29PM +0900, Thomas Joseph Haslam wrote:
> > > Interested.  How many Tluggers do we need for critical mass?
> >
> > That makes 4 people so far in the hour or two since I posted: I'd
> > estimate over 300 KG of mass, and I can be critical enough for anyone.
> > It looks like it's worth pursuing.
> >
> > I'll try to figure out logistics of a real world get-together for interested
> > members (probably on the 18th before the nomikai) as well as something
> > via email/web/irc/igs/whatever for those that can't make it.  I'll post
> > a followup to the tlug list once I get the details worked out.
>
> Unfortunately, an emergency business trip has come up, so I'll be unable
> to attend the nomikai or a pre-nomikai go playing/studying event.
>
> Hopefully I'll be able to pull something together when I get back in
> another week or so.
>
> I've given Scott Stone the bug, at least.  He's become a regular on IGS.
> If nothing else, we should consider having a get-together or training
> session on IGS or NNGS.
>
> I downloaded the latest NNGS source code.  It compiled fairly easily,
> but I was missing the ranking stuff so I didn't actually complete the
> compile/install to see if it ran okay.  Don't see any major technical
> hurdles to running our own server if folks are sufficiently interested.
> I think it would be fun to put up our own server, then hold
> training/demo matches to teach beginners the basics of the game.

If we're going to do this, we'll have to move the tlug server up to the
10mb coloc at PSInet.  Probably late next week sometime would be the
earliest we can do it.

The only thing that I'm worried about is physical space over there - I'm
not sure we have enough.

Rex - if you'll mail me (privately) the NNGS source code I can set up a
testing server on one of my development boxes to see if we can get it up
and running.

So what do we call it, "TLUGGS" ?

               <sstone@example.com>
Head of TurboLinux Development/Systems Administrator
Pacific HiTech, Inc (USA) / Pacific HiTech, KK (Japan)