Re: tlug: To Applix E/J from MS Office

On Fri, 11 Sep 1998, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

>    jb> Doesn't replace Outlook.  Applix Mail is so bad they should
>    jb> have just left it out of the package :-(
>
>Hmm, my opinion exactly---of Outhouse.  But then, I only get to

In this case, I was referring to using it rather than the quality of its
headers.  I don't know if those are any good or not, but it's just a crummy
mail client.  If it was any good, I'd be using it, but I'm still here using
Jpine, which while it has its failings, seems to be the best Japanese MUA
around, at least for me.

>Yeah, well, you should try importing a trivial Word document into an
>older version of Word.

Yup, doesn't work at all. The file formats aren't backward compatible even one
version :-(

>Um, what's so great about ATOK or Kotoeri?  I don't notice Canna

To be really honest, I prefer MS-IME to either, but what's good about all
three is they do a much better job of correctly deciphering a string of kana
(Wnn and Canna both seem to need short strings or they choke a lot), they do a
better job of learning (for かき Canna will often give me 下記 one time and
書き the next, even though I always select the first of those), and it's very
easy to add new compounds to them.  I suspect (but haven't done anything to
confirm) that they also have larger dictionaries.  Someday if I'm capable, I'd
like to write a floating X toolbar that provides the kind of management
frontend for Canna that MS-IME has.  I hope nobody is waiting though, 'cuz
that could be many years :-)

Jonathan Byrne
Media and Content Section
3Web - Your Internet Solution! <URL:http://www.threeweb.ad.jp/index.en.html>