Re: tlug: EUC & SJIS

    >>> Sure enough, they came back from IE in SJIS, although I had

AFAIK the HTTP RFC allows you to specify a meta header in POST.
ISO-2022 with escape sequences is much more robust, of course.

    Jim> of the EUC and SJIS code spaces almost guarantees a wrong
    Jim> guess a lot of the time. (Usually you have to scan along
    Jim> looking for a sequence that violates one or the other
    Jim> method.)

Well, I haven't seen much kanji->kanji mojibake; usually it's kanji ->
out of code space or kanji -> line drawing characters.  That would
make a pretty good heuristic, I bet.

    Jim> As for sending back what the browser wants, stuff them! I put
    Jim> the appropriate <meta ...> header on and send them EUC.  8-)}

What is the appropriate <meta ...> header?  "charset=x-euc-jp" is, of
course, evil, because of the "x-".

Institute of Policy and Planning Sciences        Tel/fax: +1 (298) 53-5091