Re: tlug: EUC & SJIS (Was: kterm/kinput2 conversion)

    Rex> I know for a fact that storing unix filenames in EUC simply
    Rex> works, while all bets are off with sjis.  Someone once
    Rex> alluded to a specific issue with forward slashes being an
    Rex> illegal character in a Unix filename, but I don't believe
    Rex> it's possible even with JIS to "accidentally" insert a 0x2f
    Rex> byte code in a filename -- is it?

I do it every time I write notes for 産業労働演習.

Check it out.

Basically, in ISO-2022 7-bit codes all graphic ASCII characters are
available; if you're really stretched for space, you can add SPC and
DEL to that repertoire.  The standard JIS X 0208 and 0212 use all of
that space.  It turns out that "//" maps to nothing, but there are
probably about 80 characters with "/" as the second byte in JIS X 0208
alone.

Institute of Policy and Planning Sciences        Tel/fax: +1 (298) 53-5091