tlug: Japanese filenames (was: EUC & SJIS)

On Thu, Sep 10, 1998 at 09:40:21AM +0900, Scott Stone wrote:

> HOWEVER, filenames that aren't in romaji, are, IMHO, a BadThang (tm), as
> it makes it a pain in the *** for sysadmins to deal with those files on
> standard terminals which may be completely incapable of decoding the
> japanese or providing japanese input.

I have to disagree.  Computers exist only to make things easy for human
users.  Forcing non-English users to use only 7 bit ascii characters in
filenames is simply unnaceptable.

Arguably, sysadmins also exist only to make things easy for human
lusers.  ;-)

I was a sysadmin for years (it's still one of the hats I wear).
Dealing with irritations (quotas, uid/gid administration, password
updates, backups & restores, volume administration, mail, dns, etc.) is
indead a PITA --  but, hey, it's a service industry.

On Thu, Sep 10, 1998 at 10:06:43AM +0900, Klaus Kudielka wrote:

> Well, Ted decided to store all ext2 filenames in UTF-8 on disk (AFAIK,
> not yet a reality, but it will come). What encoding you will use when
> calling library functions, I don't know. Probably the one specified by
> the locale. The library would have to do the conversion.

This sounds like goodness.  Pardon my ignorance, though.  Who's Ted?

Regards,
--
Rex