Re: tlug: EUC & SJIS (Was: kterm/kinput2 conversion)

On Wed, 9 Sep 1998, Rex Walters wrote:

> I know for a fact that storing unix filenames in EUC simply works, while
> all bets are off with sjis.  Someone once alluded to a specific issue
> with forward slashes being an illegal character in a Unix filename, but
> I don't believe it's possible even with JIS to "accidentally" insert a
> 0x2f byte code in a filename -- is it?
>
> One of those niggling things in the back of my mind I meant to
> investigate in My Abundant Spare Time but never got around to....

well, one of the nice things about EUC is that it doesn't use any control
characters, so it can be interpreted more easily by terminals that would
otherwise try to interpret control characters as something other than what
they are (vt100, for example, or the pine mail reader).

HOWEVER, filenames that aren't in romaji, are, IMHO, a BadThang (tm), as
it makes it a pain in the *** for sysadmins to deal with those files on
standard terminals which may be completely incapable of decoding the
japanese or providing japanese input.

               <sstone@example.com>
Head of TurboLinux Development/Systems Administrator
Pacific HiTech, Inc (USA) / Pacific HiTech, KK (Japan)