Re: tlug: kterm/kinput2 conversion

From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <turnbull@example.com>
Subject: Re: tlug: kterm/kinput2 conversion
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 1998 19:54:06 +0900 (JST)

> AFAIK SJIS is ISO-2022 clean, although I think that at least some of

I've always wondered about what that AFAIK acronym meant.  I know that
BTW means "by the way."  IMHO means "in my humble opinion."  I can't
figure out AFAIK.  maybe "as for above implied knowledge???"

> Use Lunde's jconv in preference to nkf.  nkf doesn't pass the "wileyc"
> test; even if you read the source you can't trust it.  I don't know
> from recent nkf's but in 1.5 and 1.6 the switches were neither
> orthogonal nor exhaustive.  jconv's recognition algorithm was much
> better than nkf 1.5's.  And jconv has a "noop" test option which
> simply reports the file's encoding.

This is interesting.  I've been using nkf for sometime.  It is the utility
that JE and now PJE use.  I think Debian JP includes kcc instead.
kcc does the code detection.

> ftp://ftp.uu.net/vendor/oreilly/nutshell/ujip/<somewhere>
>
> I haven't tried to read the source for kkc yet, but its very existence
> looks like NIH syndrome to me.

Would be interested in learning if this is working properly.

Regards,
Craig