Re: tlug: Boot manager [Was: NT offers upgrade incentive to Turbo Linux

Jonathan Byrne - 3Web wrote:
> ...  One thing I do know that will
> handle almost anything is Partition Magic, which includes the OS/2 boot
> manager.  It can even read (but not write) EXT2 partitions.  On my dual-boot
> machine, I have Partition Magic's boot manager installed in the MBR, and LILO
> in the Linux partition.
Same setup here, except I got the boot manager with OS/2.  (Hey, I got a
special deal as a {former} IBM employee.)  It works great, but haven't
tested it with NT.  As one test, I switched 5 times from BootMan to Lilo to
BootMan ... and then booted Linux just fine.  So both must boot partitions very
cleanly.  The only question is if NT complains.

A question for any Partition Magic version users though.  How are the boot
manager options changed?  With a special dos executable, or something else?
With OS/2, it comes integrated (nicely) with both the graphical & text based
OS/2 FDISK.  I'm curious what the functionality of the Partition Magic version
gives.

Also, while on the subject:
Is it possible to convince Lilo / Boot Manager to boot the first / any scsi
disk when run from the primary master IDE disk?  (yes my system is a little
weird.)  I've tried a couple times, but with no luck.

later,
Howard