Re: tlug: Any TLUGgers interested in Go?

On Tue, Sep 08, 1998 at 09:16:46AM +0900, Darren Cook wrote:

> I work semi-full-time (is that a word?) on writing a go program, so I know
> the game fairly well.

I've flushed another expert!  :-)

What's the status of your program?  Any chance you'd demo it for us at a
meeting?

> IGS will charge you if you have a Japanese email address,
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

What??!!!  Are you serious?  I always register with my pobox.com
redirector address, not a Japan address, but how on earth can IGS try to
charge for there service unless they charge everyone?  Just logistically
it seems impossible.  I've certainly never had them request money.

>                                                           but luckily there
> are other servers. I normally use:
>  wing.brlnet.net 1515
>
> Wing is a Japan-based server, and supports Japanese and Chinese (though most
> people use English, or write Japanese in romaji).

Thanks!  I didn't know of that server.

> The rec.games.go newsgroup is active, but 80% or more messages are people
> argueing about political issues like which server is best, or whether chess
> or go is harder. So be prepared to hit delete a lot.

I haven't read any news groups regularly for over 5 years.  The signal to
noise ratio on virtually every group seemed to go sky high about the same time
mosaic came out (hmm).  If it weren't for dejanews I wouldn't read any
news at all.  Sad.  Actually it isn't just the s/n ratio, it's the sheer
volume of posts regardless of quality to most newsgroups these days that
keeps me from staying current with news.  What's a full feed these days,
something like 10 GB a day?!

> >Sadly, I've spent very little time playing with people I actually know
> >(either on igs or *gasp* honest-to-gosh in-the-flesh face-to-face with
> >real stones on a real board).
>
> Me too. I spend a lot more time programming go than actually playing it.
> Actually the main reason I rejoined this mailing list last month was so I
> could ask about doing distributed processing over a network of linux
> machines for the purpose of giving my program a supercomputer to run on.
> I'll give more details in a new thread.

THIS got my attention.  A Beowulf cluster to play go: now there's a
project!

Please start the thread -- I, at least, am interested as all get out.

> Scott Stone suggested:
> >Hey, maybe we could do a games/emulation theme for the next meeting?  I
> >can bring emulators/games for:
>
> I like this idea.

Seconded.
--