Re: tlug: Next Microsoft product...?

On Tue, 1 Sep 1998, Chris Sekiya wrote:

> On Tue, 1 Sep 1998, Jonathan Byrne - 3Web wrote:
>
> > Even when my modem was a blazing 2400 bps model, I didn't think 28K was big
> > ... is there a really bad bandwidth shortage in your office?  :-)
>
> Actually, there is a bit of a bottleneck.
>
> Would you believe that it takes me about twenty minutes to transfer a
> three-meg file between my workstation (on the inside net) to my
> "everything" server (on the outside net)?  True.
>
> Of course, not being a member of the networking group, I can't do anything
> about it[1].
>
> -- Chris
>
> [1] In this case, "anything" equates to "redesign the entire network".
>     Our network is not a product of poor design -- it is a product of no
>     design.

have your company hire you (again) as a consultant to fix it, maybe? :)
Should be fun, if you have time.  I like configuring networks, especially
if I have a strong person around to move heavy computer equipment for me
:) -- back in our USA office a couple years ago we had a big German guy
named Nik who used to help me with stuff like that.  This guy could lift a
refrigerator without help... a *big*, USA-sized refrigerator.  And carry
it, too.

               <sstone@example.com>
Head of TurboLinux Development/Systems Administrator
Pacific HiTech, Inc (USA) / Pacific HiTech, KK (Japan)