Re: tlug: xemacs/MULE with cannaserver and ckinput2 (was: PJE) (fwd)

    Scott> On Mon, 31 Aug 1998, Matt Gushee wrote:

    >> 1) If you have a System V -ish boot configuration (Red Hat,
    >> TurboLinux?, maybe Debian, but I think not Slackware), you
    >> should have

    Scott> Just FYI, everyone, yes, TL is a SystemV-ish configuration,
    Scott> very similar to Redhat's.

Debian also is SysV-rashii.

    Eric> I got ncurses3 installed and then canna and ckinput2
    Eric> installed fine I think...  I started
    Eric> xemacs-with-canna-MULE-support, and then realized that there
    Eric> must be some other things I have to set up before I can
    Eric> actually type Japanese...

Yup.  You can type it, but you won't see it  :-P

    Eric> 1) what is the best way to set up the system to run
    Eric> cannaserver on startup?

If you have an /etc/init.d[/boot]/canna[server] script, as Matt said,
all you need to do is put a link to that in your normal startup level
(`fgrep default /etc/inittab' to find out, usually 2 or 3), eg:

ln -s ../init.d/cannaserver /etc/rc2.d/S99cannaserver

(This assumes the Debian layout, poke around and you'll figure out
what's right for you.  Relative links are preferred for PMS reasons,
you don't need to do so.)

If you don't, you should probably have an rc.local file; put the
cannastart command in there.

You don't have to reboot, just run the cannaserver.

    Eric> 2) do I need an environment var initialized, if so where
    Eric> should I do that?

If you are going to use kinput2, you need two variables set:

LANG=ja_JP.euc
XMODIFIERS="@example.com=kinput2"
export LANG XMODIFIERS

This should be done in the user's .bash_profile or .bashrc script, or
possibly in /etc/profile.  Where is extremely system dependent, and
mostly a matter of style.  As far as I can tell, nobody uses these
files according to the documentation.

I prefer using Canna directly through XEmacs, myself; you can either
start XEmacs before the XMODIFIERS variable is exported, or you can
start XEmacs with

XMODIFIERS='' xemacs ...

to achieve the same effect.  If you are going to stick with Canna, you
may prefer to use kinput2 in both cases.

For properly built XEmacs 20.4 and above (probably 20.3 as well), no
customization of .emacs is needed.

    Eric> 3) It might be different, but in xemacs and kterm how do I
    Eric> initialize input of Japanese characters, and just as
    Eric> important, how do I stop Japanese input?

Very system-dependent.  In a well-setup system tuned for Japanese
keyboards, you can use the kanji key for both; it's a toggle, in and
out on the same key.

The default for kinput2 on non-Japanese-tuned systems is Shift-SPC,
YMMV.  If it works, it works in both XEmacs and kterm.

In recent XEmacs, the Canna subsystem is integrated with the Library
of Emacs Input Methods (nice on the outside, inside an FSF
abomination).  You toggle the currently selected input method with
Ctrl-\.  If there is none, you will be prompted for it; type
j<TAB>c<TAB><RET> (or if you're a Real Man, japanese-canna<RET>).

If that doesn't work, you'll need to use the code Matt provided in
your .emacs.  The default canna-toggle is Ctrl-o, which is very
inconvenient for me.

Institute of Policy and Planning Sciences        Tel/fax: +1 (298) 53-5091